University of Applied Research & Development (UARD)
During this course students develop an understanding about the impact of media and their role during emergency situations. Students will learn about preparing a Holding Statement and writing a Press Release as well as harnessing Social Media tools.
The learning outcomes for the module are as follows:
- Ideas and best practices for raising and sustaining awareness of risk and natural hazards
- Informational tools for communities & organization
- Communicating with a variety of audiences about their risk from natural hazards and steps that can be taken to minimize these risks or their impact
- Social Media and Local Government
- Why Use Social Media?
- Social Media and Risk Communication 1
- Social Media and Risk Communication 2
- Social Media and Risk Communication 3
- The right tone
22 – 28 hours with the ability to start/stop/return at any time.
This course is for:
- first responders,
- active service military,
- emergency managers and
Take this course to understand the theory behind their practice and increase their professional capacity when responding to a major emergency. This course is also aimed at personnel who form part of the Emergency Response organization.